Sunday, October 19, 2008

Music Music Music

Going off to KLCC to catch another classical music concert by MPO in a while, this time performing works by Richard Wagner. Now this is a first time for me, listening to Wagner's pieces which also come with a soprano aside from the usual orchestra gang. Wonder how will it be, let's wait and see, hehe.

Been toxicating myself with tons of music lately... ok, I lied, it's been like what? 3 years? But recently there is an apparent change in the music I listen. Took a break from classical music and tried my ears in pop songs which I despised so much (no offense to you people out there, ask me any day any month 2 years ago and I will tell you "no I am not interested in pop songs") until a few weeks ago. This is probably due to the fact that most of my classical musics are somewhat aggressive in nature (yeah you know me, Beethoven and stuff like that), and they don't seem to be doing a good job in soothing me during my final semester. Thus, the only thing I could do is seek help from pop songs.

Jason Mraz has been a personal favourite since last week. Downloaded his albums (gosh am I late) and had a good time with them. A pity I can't find his latest one "We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things" on the Net... sorry Jason I don't mean to support pirated albums, haha. I am sure "You and I Both" can have a good time together if we get to know each other, perhaps share our experience in how to "Sleep All Day", as well as the days when we have "Too Much Food" thanks to our female friends who pile the leftovers in our plates during meal time, haha. OK, somebody please stop me, I am going nuts...

Well anyway, it's true that listening to pop songs do give me a good time, yet I still go back to classical music every now and then. It's just something I can't give up, like those drug addicts who can't give up on heroine even though they are killing themselves in the progress (of course I can't kill myself with classical music, so it appears I get to live longer :p). I am always amazed at how humans can create different forms of music throughout their short lifespan. Look at Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Schubert..... and the rest of the gang. Look at all their achievement when they were alive. Such beautiful and awesome works....

Of course apart from the composers, we can't forget about the performers as well. Most of the masterpieces are difficult to perform, and we should be thankful that there are a bunch of them who are willing to spend their time honing their skills so we can enjoy lots and lots of music, be it through recordings or live at the scene. Gosh, I wish I could be one of them. Just seeing yourself performing those masterpieces can make you proud, not to mention the awe and surprise we get to see on the audience's faces. Of course pride and success is not my ultimate goal. What I am seeking is the joy of sharing music with all of you, because I believe music is the cure to all "malfunctions" in human emotion.

Up till now, Beethoven'ts Appassionata still tops the list in my personal favourites. There are a lot of versions, and the one I am most satisfied with is Barenboim's version. Not sure how to explain to you folks, so get it from me if you are interested to know, hehe.

Sigh... wonder when I can play Appassionata.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case you guys are wondering how Daniel Barenboim looks like, here's a few pics of him^^

3 comments:

Awatif Al Rumaithi said...

unaggressive?
叙事曲?

redone198 said...

哈哈,叙事曲也有点aggressive咯,还要加上些许的忧郁。

Awatif Al Rumaithi said...

呃小弟才疏学浅
想不出几首古典...